Personalized Private Photography Classes in Portland, Oregon
Master the Art of Photography in Private Lessons
Looking for a photography lesson with lots of personal attention?
Learn with me, one-on-one at your own pace! Bring your camera and related gear, your questions, mysteries and puzzles. I’ll explain menu items, camera settings, composition… as much as you can absorb. When you comprehend at a comfortable speed, you gain the confidence to produce beautiful pictures. I look forward to helping you explore the creative art and exciting science of photography.
Choose from a variety of topics for your private lessons:
• Package A: Beginner’s Lesson $199, 2-hours
• Package B: Intermediate Lesson $199, 2-hours
• Package B: Lighting & Portrait Posing, $199, 2-hours (Natural Light)
2024 SPECIAL: 2-Hour Private Photography Instruction For Beginners $199.00
We can start at the beginning:
• How to work with your camera: settings and modes
• What are the major components of all photography?
• How aperture, shutter and the light sensitivity work together
• How to use auto-focus to get crisp, sharp photos every time
• How to use Manual, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority and Program Modes
• Practical, real-life examples of when to use each mode
What to bring:
Bring your camera, lenses, cords, flash, etc.
• Package B:
Intermediate Lesson $199, 2-hours
This lesson is designed for people who want take their knowledge a step further. If you are familiar with your camera, and don’t need me to go over basic settings, we’ll start at a more advanced level.
What to bring:
Bring your camera, lenses, cords, flash, etc. and your questions! Bring a friend to model if you’d like to focus on portraiture.
2024 SPECIAL: 2-Hour Portrait and Posing Instruction For Beginners $199.00
Here’s what you will learn
• How to work with your camera: best settings and modes for portraiture
• Three ways to create shallow depth of field (‘bokeh’)
• How to develop your portrait photography style
• Four ways to create natural, flattering poses
What to bring:
Bring a model and your camera, lenses, cords, flash, etc. This lesson is held outdoors.
“I cannot thank you enough for taking the time with me. Nobody has talked to me in a manner of clarity and patience as you did today.” Scott L.
“Our business relies heavily on internet selling of antiques so accurate, high-quality photos are critical. Irene came to our business for a 2-hour lesson to review our use of lighting, camera settings and Photoshop editing. She was organized, efficient and easy to understand. We were able to make several immediate improvements that resulted in a big jump in photo quality, worth far more than the cost of the session.” Art K.
“Irene helped me not only understand my camera, but also understand more about photography in general. She explained the technical aspects in a very visual way that I could easily understand. I highly recommend her lessons if you have a DSLR and really want to know how to use it.” Anna S.
Irene is simply the best photography teacher I have ever had. I learned about aperture and ISO, how to frame a picture, and how to work with light and shadows, all in 2 hours. We practiced photographing different scenes all around the area, and when I got home, I remembered my new skills and started on my portfolio. I will definitely be signing up for more photography lessons!” Jennifer J.
Learn nature photography
Learn natural light portraiture
Learn product photography
- Do you use multi-point, continuous or single point auto focus?
The difference can be a photo that is in sharp focus or not. Many people struggle with auto-focus, so I explain the three types and show you how to set the camera for the one that works best for you.
- Curious about those beautiful blurry backgrounds?
There are four factors that influence the appearance of the background, and I’ll explain them to you in a way you will easily comprehend.
- Do you know about the magical thing called the diopter?
I’ll explain the diopter and show you how to set it so that what you see through the viewfinder is always nice and sharp.
- Interested in portrait photography techniques?
Choose a portrait photography lesson in natural light.
- Are you stuck on automatic?
Some automatic settings are wonderful, but others can give you a passive experience. I’ll explain the difference and make recommendations.
- Would you like to learn more about composition?
Learn about the Rule of Thirds, the Golden Ratio and the Golden Spiral.
- Baffled by F-stop, shutter speed and ISO sensitivity?
I’ll explain the relationship so you can have fun with your manual settings as you learn to produce stunning photos.
2704 NE Stanton Street Portland Oregon 97212-3537
Dating Profile Photos
Portraits For All Occasions
Models & Actors Headshots/Portfolios
Proposal and Engagement Portraits
Family Portrait Photography
Yearbook and Graduation Portraits
Party and Life Event Photography
Meeting & Corporate Event Photography
Elopement and Small Wedding Photography